Read Here for More Information
B.E DEGREE PROGRAMME CURRICULUM AND SYLLABUS
ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING
(Offered in Colleges affiliated to Anna University)
CURRICULUM AND SYLLABUS – REGULATIONS – 2004
EE 1302 PROTECTION AND SWITCHGEAR 3 0 0 100
To expose the students to the various faults in power system and learn the various methods of protection scheme
To understand the current interruption in Power System and study the various switchgears.
i. Discussion on various earthing practices usage of symmetrical components to estimate fault current and fault MVA.
ii. Study of Relays & Study of protection scheme, solid state relays.
iii. To understand instrument transformer and accuracy.
iv. To understand the method of circuit breaking various arc theories Arcing phenomena – capacitive and inductive breaking.
v. Types of circuit breakers.
Principles and need for protective schemes – nature and causes of faults – types of faults – fault current calculation using symmetrical components – Power system earthing - Zones of protection and essential qualities of protection – Protection scheme.
Electromagnetic relays – Over current, directional, distance and differential, under frequency relays – static relays.
Apparatus protection transformer, generator, motor, protection of bus bars, transmission lines – CTs and PTs and their applications in protection schemes.
Physics of arc phenomena and arc interruption. Restriking voltage & Recovery voltage, rate of rise of recovery voltage, resistance switching, current chopping, interruption of capacitive current – DC circuit breaking.
Types of Circuit Breakers – Air blast, Air break, oil SF6 and Vacuum circuit breakers – comparative merits of different circuit breakers – Testing of circuit breakers.
1. B. Ravindranath, and N. Chander, ‘Power System Protection & Switchgear’, Wiley Eastern Ltd., 1977.
1. Sunil S. Rao, ‘Switchgear and Protection’, Khanna publishers, New Delhi, 1986 .
2. C.L. Wadhwa, ‘Electrical Power Systems’, Newage International (P) Ltd., 2000.
3. M.L. Soni, P.V. Gupta, V.S. Bhatnagar, A. Chakrabarti, ‘A Text Book on Power System Engineering’, Dhanpat Rai & Co., 1998.
4. Badri Ram, Vishwakarma, ‘Power System Protection and Switchgear’, Tata McGraw hill, 2001.
5. Y.G. Paithankar and S.R. Bhide, ‘Fundamentals of Power System Protection’, Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi – 110001, 2003.