ANNA UNIVERSITY CHENNAI:: CHENNAI 600 025
B.E. MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
SEMESTER - IV
ME1251 THERMAL ENGINEERING
- To integrate the concepts, laws and methodologies from the first course in thermodynamics into the analysis of cyclic process.
- To apply the thermodynamic concepts into various thermal application like IC engines Steam turbines, Compressors and Refrigeration and Air conditioning Systems.
1. GAS POWER CYCLES 9
Otto, Diesel, Dual, Brayton cycles, Calculation of mean effective pressure and air standard efficiency, Actual and theoretical PV diagram of Four stroke engines, Actual and theoretical PV diagram of two stroke engines.
2. INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES 9
Classification of IC engine, IC engine components and functions. Valve timing diagram and port timing diagram. Comparison of two stroke and four stroke engines. Fuel supply systems, Ignition Systems, Performance calculation. Comparison of petrol & diesel engine. Fuels, Air-fuel ratio calculation, Knocking and Detonation. Lubrication system and cooling system. Exhaust gas analysis, pollution control norms.
3. STEAM NOZZLES AND TURBINES 9
Flow of steam through nozzles, shapes of nozzles, effect of friction, critical pressure ratio, supersaturated flow. Impulse and reaction principles, compounding, velocity diagrams for simple and multistage turbines, speed regulations-governors and nozzle governors.
4. AIR COMPRESSOR 9
Classification and working principle, work of compression with and without clearance. Volumetric efficiency, Isothermal efficiency and isentropic efficiency of reciprocating air compressors. Multistage air compressor and inter cooling – work of multistage air compressor, various types of compressors (Descriptive treatment only).
5. REFRIGERATION AND AIR-CONDITIONING 9
Vapour compression Refrigeration cycle – super heat, sub cooling, performance calculations. Working principle of vapour absorption system. Ammonia – water, Lithium bromide – water systems (Description only), Comparison between vapour compression and absorption systems. Psychrometry, Psychometric chart, Cooling load calculations. Concept of RSHF, GSHF, ESHF, Air conditioning systems.
TOTAL : 60
(Use of standard thermodynamic tables, Mollier diagram, Psychometric chart and Refrigerant property tables are permitted in the examination)
1. Rajput, “Thermal Engineering”, S. Chand publishers, 2000.
2. Rudramoorthy R, “Thermal Engineering”, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2003.
Kothandaraman.C.P., Domkundwar.S. and A.V.Domkundwar., “A course in Thermal Engineering”, Dhanpat Rai & Sons, Fifth edition, 2002
2. Holman. J.P., “Thermodynamics”, McGraw-Hill, 1985.
3. Rogers, Meyhew, “Engineering Thermodynamics”, ELBS, 1992.
4. Arora.C.P., “Refrigeration and Air conditioning”, TMH, 1994.
5. Sarkar B.K, “ Thermal Engineering”, Tata McGraw-Hill, 1998.