Read Here for More Information
ANNA UNIVERSITY CHENNAI:: CHENNAI 600 025
B.E. MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
SEMESTER – V
ME1302 DESIGN OF MACHINE ELEMENTS
To familiarise the various steps involved in the Design Process
To understand the principles involved in evaluating the shape and dimensions of a component to satisfy functional and strength requirements.
To learn to use standard practices and standard data
To learn to use catalogues and standard machine components
1. STEADY STRESSES AND VARIABLE STRESSES IN MACHINE MEMBERS 9
Introduction to the design process - factor influencing machine design, selection of materials based on mechanical properties – Direct, Bending and torsional stress equations – Impact and shock loading – calculation of principle stresses for various load combinations, eccentric loading – Design of curved beams – crane hook and ‘C’ frame - Factor of safety - theories of failure – stress concentration – design for variable loading – Soderberg, Goodman and Gerber relations
2. DESIGN OF SHAFTS AND COUPLINGS 9
Design of solid and hollow shafts based on strength, rigidity and critical speed – Design of keys and key ways - Design of rigid and flexible couplings – Introduction to gear and shock absorbing couplings - design of knuckle joints.
3. DESIGN OF FASTNERS AND WELDED JOINTS 9
Threaded fastners - Design of bolted joints including eccentric loading – Design of welded joints for pressure vessels and structures - theory of bonded joints.
4. DESIGN OF SPRINGS AND LEVERS 9
Design of helical, leaf, disc and torsional springs under constant loads and varying loads – Concentric torsion springs - Belleville springs – Design of Levers.
5. DESIGN OF BEARINGS AND FLYWHEELS 9
Design of bearings – sliding contact and rolling contact types. – Cubic mean load – Design of journal bearings – Mckees equation – Lubrication in journal bearings – calculation of bearing dimensions – Design of flywheels involving stresses in rim and arm.
TOTAL : 60
Note: (Use of P S G Design Data Book is permitted in the University examination)
Juvinall R.C, and Marshek K.M, “Fundamentals of Machine Component Design”, John Wiley & Sons, Third Edition, 2002.
2. Bhandari V.B, “Design of Machine Elements”, Tata McGraw-Hill Book Co, 2003.
1. Norton R.L, “Design of Machinery”, Tata McGraw-Hill Book Co, 2004.
2. Orthwein W, “Machine Component Design”, Jaico Publishing Co, 2003.
3. Ugural A.C, “Mechanical Design – An Integral Approach, McGraw-Hill Book Co, 2004.
4. Spotts M.F., Shoup T.E “Design and Machine Elements” Pearson Education, 2004.