Sponsors 99Students Hostgator BlueHost
B.E/B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION,NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2010
Computer Science and Engineering
CS 2305 - PROGRAMMING PARADIGMS
Answer ALL questions
PART A - (16 x 2 = 20)
1. Define Objects and classes in java.
2. How does one import a single package?
3. What is meant by Inheritance Hierrarchy? Give an example.
4. In Java what is the use of Interface?
5. What are the steps needed to show a Frame?
6. What is the function of
(a) Set Layout and
(b) Flow Layout?
7. Give any two methods available in Stack trace Element.
8. Define Assertions and give its syntax.
9. What are the different states in thread?
10. What do you mean Synchronization?
11. (a)(i) What is constructor? What is the use of new method? [Marks 4]
(ii) Give the syntax for static method and its initialization. [Marks 4]
(iii) Explain arrays in java. [Marks 8]
(b) (i) What is class? How do you define a class in java? [Marks 4]
(ii) Explain the following in Strings:
(2) Substrings. [Marks 4]
(iii) Explain any four methods available in string handling. [Marks 4]
(iv) What is a package? How does a compiler locate packages? [Marks 4]
12. (a) (i) Explain Inheritance and class hierarchy. [Marks 8]
(ii) Define Polymorphism. [Marks 2]
(iii) Write briefly on Abstract classes with an example. [Marks 6]
(b) (i) Explain the following with examples:
(1) The clone able interface
(2) The property interface. [Marks 8]
(ii) What is a static Inner class? Explain with example. [Marks 8]
13. (a) (i) Explain the AWT Event handling in detail. [Marks 8]
(ii) Give the methods available in graphics for COLOR. [Marks 4]
(iii) List the methods available to draw shapes. [Marks 4]
(b)(i) Explain the characteristics of model view Controller design patterns. [Marks 4]
(ii) Explain the advantage and explain the methods in Model view controller.[Marks 12]
14. (a) (i) Explain the generic classes and generic methods with example. [Marks 8]
(ii) Explain the exception hierarchy [Marks 8]
(b) (i) Explain the concept of throwing and catching exception in java. [Marks 8]
(ii) State the situations where assertions are not used. [Marks 4]
(iii) Give an overview of logging [Marks 4]
15. (a) (i) What is a thread? Explain its states and methods. [Marks 8]
(ii) Explain thread properties. [Marks 8]
(b) (i) Explain the methods of interrupting threads in java. [Marks 8]
(ii) What is Event- driven programming? Explain. [Marks 8]