CURRICULUM 2004 (Offered in Colleges affiliated to Anna University)
LIST OF ELECTIVES FOR B.E DEGREE PROGRAMME MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
ELECTIVES FOR VIII SEMESTER
(Common to Mechanical and Production)
• To enable the student to understand the principles, functions and practices adapted in industry for the successful management of maintenance activities.
• To explain the different maintenance categories like Preventive maintenance, condition monitoring and repair of machine elements.
• To illustrate some of the simple instruments used for condition monitoring in industry.
1. PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF MAINTENANCE PLANNING 10
Basic Principles of maintenance planning – Objectives and principles of planned maintenance activity – Importance and benefits of sound Maintenance systems – Reliability and machine availability – MTBF, MTTR and MWT – Factors of availability – Maintenance organization – Maintenance economics.
Maintenance categories – Comparative merits of each category – Preventive maintenance, maintenance schedules, repair cycle - Principles and methods of lubrication – TPM.
Condition Monitoring – Cost comparison with and without CM – On-load testing and off-load testing – Methods and instruments for CM – Temperature sensitive tapes – Pistol thermometers – wear-debris analysis
Repair methods for beds, slideways, spindles, gears, lead screws and bearings – Failure analysis – Failures and their development – Logical fault location methods – Sequential fault location.
Repair methods for Material handling equipment - Equipment records –Job order systems -Use of computers in maintenance.
TOTAL : 45
1. Srivastava S.K., “Industrial Maintenance Management”, - S. Chand and Co., 1981
2. Bhattacharya S.N., “Installation, Servicing and Maintenance”, S. Chand and Co., 1995
1. White E.N., “Maintenance Planning”, I Documentation, Gower Press, 1979.
2. Garg M.R., “Industrial Maintenance”, S. Chand & Co., 1986.
3. Higgins L.R., “Maintenance Engineering Hand book”, McGraw Hill, 5th Edition, 1988.
4. Armstrong, “Condition Monitoring”, BSIRSA, 1988.
5. Davies, “Handbook of Condition Monitoring”, Chapman &Hall, 1996.
6. “Advances in Plant Engineering and Management”, Seminar Proceedings - IIPE, 1996.