Read here for Latest Updates on Anna University Results 2014 Tamilnadu
ANNA UNIVERSITY CHENNAI: CHENNAI – 600 025
B.E DEGREE PROGRAMME CIVIL ENGINEERING
(Offered in Colleges affiliated to Anna University)
CURRICULUM AND SYLLABUS – REGULATIONS – 2004
The student is introduced to the definition and properties of fluid. Principles of fluid statics, kinematics and dynamics are dealt with subsequently. The application of similitude and model study are covered subsequently. After undergoing this course, the student would have learnt fluid properties and application to real situations of fluid flow.
1. DEFINITIONS AND FLUID PROPERTIES 5
Definitions – Fluid and fluid mechanics – Dimensions and units – Fluid properties – Continuum Concept of system and control volume
2. FLUID STATICS & KINEMATICS 10
Pascal’s Law and Hydrostatic equation – Forces on plane and curved surfaces – Buoyancy – Meta centre – Pressure measurement – Fluid mass under relative equilibrium
Stream, streak and path lines – Classification of flows – Continuity equation (one, two and three dimensional forms) – Stream and potential functions – flow nets – Velocity measurement (Pilot tube, current meter, Hot wire and hot film anemometer, float technique, Laser Doppler velocimetry)
3. FLUID DYNAMICS 10
Euler and Bernoulli’s equations – Application of Bernoulli’s equation – Discharge measurement – Laminar flows through pipes and between plates – Hagen Poiseuille equation – Turbulent flow – Darcy-Weisbach formula – Moody diagram – Momentum Principle
4. BOUNDARY LAYER AND FLOW THROUGH PIPES 10
Definition of boundary layer – Thickness and classification – Displacement and momentum thickness – Development of laminar and turbulent flows in circular pipes – Major and minor losses of flow in pipes – Pipes in series and in parallel – Pipe network
5. SIMILITUDE AND MODEL STUDY 10
Dimensional Analysis – Rayleigh’s method, Buckingham’s Pi-theorem – Similitude and models – Scale effect and distorted models.
TOTAL : 60
1. Kumar, K.L., “Engineering Fluid Mechanics”, Eurasia Publishing House (P) Ltd., New Delhi, 1995.
2. Garde, R.J. and Mirajgaoker, A.G., “Engineering Fluid Mechanics”, Nem Chand Bros., Roorkee
3. Rajput, R.K., “A text book of Fluid Mechanics in SI Units”
4. Fox, Robert, W. and Macdonald, Alan,T., “Introduction to Fluid Mechanics”, John Wiley & Sons, 1995