Read here for Latest Updates on Anna University Results 2014 Tamilnadu
ANNA UNIVERSITY TIRUCHIRAPPALLI -620 024
Regulations 2007 Curriculum SEMESTER I
Common to all B.E. / B.Tech. (Except B.E. Marine Engineering)
HS1103 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY I
UNIT - I WATER TREATMENT PROCESS (10)
Hardness of water - CaCO3 equivalents – Ethylene Diamine Tetra-acetic Acid (EDTA) method of
estimation of hardness – Troubles of boiler feed water - Demineralization - Zeolite process –
Desalination - Reverse osmosis - Electro dialysis - Water conditioning (Colloidal, Phosphate,
Calgon, Carbonate) - Treatment of domestic water (UV and ozone).
UNIT - II THERMODYNAMICS (10)
Thermodynamic processes – First law of thermodynamics – Limitations - Second law of
thermodynamics - Clausius and Kelvin statement – Entropy - Mathematical expressions -
Changes in entropy for isothermal expansion - Reversible and irreversible processes - Free energy
- Gibbs Helmholtz equation – Application and simple problems – Van’t Hoff isotherm and
isochore - Simple problems.
UNIT – III ELECTROCHEMISTRY (10)
Electrode potential – Determination – Nernst Equation – Types of cells - Reference electrodes –
Hydrogen – Calomel - Glass and Quinhydrone – Determination of pH - Electromotive force
(EMF) and its measurements – Applications – Concentration cells - Application and problems -
EMF series – Significance – Conductometric titrations.
UNIT – IV ENERGY SOURCES AND ENERGY STORING DEVICES (8)
Nuclear fission process - Chain reactions – Nuclear energy – Nuclear reactor – Light water
nuclear power plant - Batteries – Primary and Secondary batteries - Alkaline battery - Lead acid
storage battery - Ni-cadmium battery - Lithium battery - Fuel cells - Hydrogen Oxygen fuel cell -
Photo galvanic cell.
UNIT – V ANALYTICAL TECHNIQUES AND CHEMO METRICS (10)
Beer-Lambert’s law - UV-Visible - IR spectroscopy - Principles and Instrumentation (block
diagram only) – Estimation of iron by colorimetric analysis - Flame photometry - Principles and
Instrumentation (block diagram only) – Estimation of sodium by flame photometry - Chemo
metrics – Instrumental response and Data processing - Chemo metric based signal processing
TOTAL = 48
1. P.C. Jain and Monika Jain, “Engineering Chemistry”, 13th Edition, Dhanpat Rai Publishing Company (P) Ltd., New Delhi, 2004.
2. B.S.Bahl, G.D. Tuli and Arun Bahl, “Essentials of Physical Chemistry”, S. Chand and Company Ltd., New Delhi, 2004.
1. J.C. Kuriakose and J. Rajaram, “Chemistry in Engineering and Technology”, Vol.1 & 2, Tata Mcgraw Hill Publishing Company (P) Ltd., New Delhi, 1996.
2. Mars G. Fontana, “Corrosion Engineering”, Tata Mcgraw Hill Publishing Company (P) Ltd., New Delhi, 2005.
3. B.K. Sharma, “Engineering Chemistry”, Krishna Prakasam Media (P) Ltd., Meerut, 2001.
4. F.Chau, Y. Liang, J. Gao and X. Shao, “Chemometrics”, Wiley Inter Science, 2004.