ANNA UNIVERSITY TIRUCHIRAPPALLI -620 024
Regulations 2007 Curriculum
Common to all B.E. / B.Tech. (Except B.E. Marine Engineering)
HS1101 TECHNICAL ENGLISH I
UNIT I FOCUS ON LANGUAGE 10
Word Formation with Prefixes and Suffixes – Synonyms and Antonyms – Noun Phrases -
Infinitive and Gerund – Subject-Verb Agreement – Tenses – Impersonal Passive – Conditional
Sentences – Adjectives and Degrees of Comparison – Conjunctions and Prepositions.
UNIT II BASICS OF TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION 8
Process of Communication – Language as a Tool of Communication – Levels of Communication
– The Flow of Communication – Communication Networks – Importance of Technical
Communication - Barriers to Communication.
UNIT III SPEAKING 10
Types of Listening – Implications of Effective Listening - Presentation Strategies - Analysing
Audience and Locale – Organizing Contents – Preparing an Outline – Visual Aids –
Understanding Nuances of Delivery – Sample Speech.
UNIT IV READING 10
Predicting the Content – Skimming the Text – Understanding the Gist – Identifying the Topic
Sentence and its Role in each Paragraph – Scanning – Inferring/ Identifying Lexical and
Contextual Meanings – Transfer of Information/ Note-Making – Understanding Discourse
Coherence – Sequencing of Sentences.
UNIT V WRITING 10
Sentence Construction – Salient Points for Sentence Construction – Paragraph Development –
Central Components of a Paragraph – Techniques for Paragraph Development – Kinds of
Paragraphs: Analysis, Description, Definition and Comparison and Contrast.
1. Meenakshi Raman and Sangeetha Sharma, “Technical Communication: Principles and Practice”, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2004.
1. Andrea J. Rutherford, “Basic Communication Skills for Technology”, Pearson Education Asia (Singapore) Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore, 2001.
2. Ashraf Rizvi, “Effective Technical Communication”, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2005.
3. Ramakrishna Rao, “Learning English : A communicative Approach”, Orient Longman, Hyderabad, 2006.
4. William Sanborn Pfeiffer and T.V.S. Padmaja, “Technical Communication: A Practical Approach”, Sixth Edition, Pearson Education, 2007.