Read Here for More Information
Reg. No. :
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2010 Fourth Semester
ME2252 — MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY — II
Time: Three hours Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)
1. How do you classify tool wear?
2. Define Tool Life.
3. Distinguish between Capstan lathe from Turret lathe.
4. State the different methods of taper turning.
5. How do you classify milling cutters?
6. Define Broaching.
7. State the applications of honing and lapping finishing methods.
8. Compare gear forming with gear generation method.
9. State the limitations of CNC machine tools.
10. What is a 'Canned' cycle?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) Discuss the various types of chips produced during metal machining. (Marks 6)
(ii) State the parameters that influence the life of tool and discuss. (Marks 10)
(b) (i) What is meant by Orthogonal Cutting and Oblique Cutting? (Marks 6)
(ii) Explain 'Merchant force circle' along with assumptions. (Marks 10)
12. (a) (i) Discuss the main parts of a turret lathe. (Marks 6)
(ii) Explain the working of Swiss type auto lathe with a neat sketch.(10)
(b) (i) What is meant by 'tool layout' of a turret lathe? (Marks 6)
(ii) Name the various lathe accessories. How does a four jaw chuck differ from a three jaw chuck? (Marks 10)
13. (a) (i) What are the operations performed on a milling machine? (Marks 6)
(ii) Explain different types of drilling machines with their specific features. (Marks 10)
(b) (i) Discuss the various types of broaches. (Marks 6)
(ii) Discuss the common work holding devices used on shapers, slotters and planers. (Marks 10)
14. (a) (i) Give the specification of grinding wheel. (Marks 6)
(ii) What is meant by dressing and truing of grinding wheel? (Marks 10)
(b) (i) List the advantages and limitations of gear shaping. (Marks 6)
(ii) Explain the principle of gear hobbing with neat sketches. (Marks 10)
15. (a) (i) Under what conditions of production the numerically controlled machine tools are employed? (Marks 6)
(ii) Explain the various elements of NC machine with closed loop control system. (Marks 10)
(b) (i) Explain the main difference between point to point and continuous path type of numerically controlled machine tools. (Marks 6)
(ii) List any five motions and control statements of computer assisted NC programming and explain. (Marks 10)