Read here for Latest Updates on Anna University Results 2014 Tamilnadu
ANNA UNIVERSITY CHENNAI:: CHENNAI 600 025
CURRICULUM 2004 B.E. MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
SEMESTER - III
ME1203 MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY - II 3 0 0 100
• To understand the concept and basic mechanics of metal cutting, working of standard machine tools such as lathe, shaping and allied machines, milling, drilling and allied machines, grinding and allied machines and broaching
• To understand the basic concepts of computer numerical control (CNC) machine tool and CNC programming.
1. THEORY OF METAL CUTTING 8
Introduction: material removal processes, types of machine tools – theory of metal cutting: chip formation, orthogonal metal cutting, cutting tool materials, tool wear, tool life, surface finish, cutting fluids.
2. CENTRE LATHE AND SPECIAL PURPOSE LATHES 10
Centre lathe, constructional features, cutting tools, various operations, taper turning methods, thread cutting methods, special attachments, machining time and power estimation.
Capstan and turret lathes – automatic lathes : semi automatic, automats – single spindle : cutting off, swiss type, automatic screw type – multi spindle; cutting off, bar type
3. RECIPROCATING AND MILLING MACHINES 10
Reciprocating machine tools: shaper, planer, slotter ; milling : types, milling cutters, operations ; hole making : drilling, reaming, boring, tapping
4. ABRASIVE PROCESS, SAWING, BROACHING AND GEAR CUTTING 10
Abrasive processes: grinding wheel – specifications and selection, types of grinding process – cylindrical grinding, surface grinding, centreless grinding – honing, lapping, super finishing, polishing and buffing, abrasive jet grinding
Sawing machine: hack saw, band saw, circular saw; broaching machines: broach construction – push, pull, surface and continuous broaching machines, gear cutting: forming, generation, shaping, hobbing.
5. CNC MACHINE TOOLS AND PART PROGRAMMING 7
Numerical control(NC) machine tools – CNC: types, constructional details, special features.
Part programming fundamentals – manual programming – computer assisted part programming – apt language.
TOTAL : 45
Rao, P.N. “Manufacturing Technology”, Metal Cutting and Machine Tools, Tata McGraw–Hill, New Delhi, 2003.
Richerd R. Kibbe, John E. Neely, Roland O. Merges and Warren J. White, “Machine Tool Practices”, Prentice Hall of India, 2003.
HMT – “Production Technology”, Tata McGraw-Hill, 1998.
P.C. Sharma, “A Text Book of Production Engineering”, S. Chand and Co. Ltd, IV edition, 1993.
Hajra Choudry, “Elements of Work Shop Technology – Vol. II”, Media Promoters. 2002
Geofrey Boothroyd, “Fundamentals of Metal Machining and Machine Tools”, McGraw Hill, 1984.